- Plan A Visit
- Rides & Slides
- Buy Tickets
30 March 2012 - 6:30pm
(In honor of April Fool's Day coming up on Sunday, let's repost this HoliBlog entry from 6/22/05)
According to today's column at The Motley Fool, a hugely popular investment site, our HoliHints: "...are being dispersed in magnetizing spoonfuls."
We're running a bit low on flatware, but will try to serve up another tidbit later today.
(An added note: Did you know we were the first park to blog? It was a bit of a rarity back in the spring of 2005; we've enjoyed sharing every bite!)
29 March 2012 - 4:32pm
... and who gets to ride?
A quiet, expressionless group. Not exactly our usual crowd.
Have you checked out our latest contest?
Write a funny caption and you could win two tickets to Holiday World & Splashin' Safari!
The details are here in an earlier HoliBlog post.
Our contest runs through Monday, April 2, 2012, at 12 noon CDT. Good luck!
27 March 2012 - 7:21pm
Today was a big day for these fellas ...
... these "dummies" caught the first flight of The Raven for the 2012 season.
Dummies? I think not!
To celebrate their raucous return to the station (and yes, they were armless pre-flight), let's give away a pair of tickets, shall we?
Take a look at these pasty-faced gents. The two in front look relaxed, if a bit stunned.
But those two in back - see how one is leaned in toward the other? What's that dummy saying?
It's "crunch time" here at the park, so we need a good laugh. Make us LOL and you could win a pair of tickets.
Here's what to do:
1. Give us sass. Give us silly. Give us snark. But keep your "Dummy Dialogue" family-friendly, okay?
2. We called it "Dummy Dialogue" because we have an unhealthy alliteration affinity (see?); it can be Dummy Monologue if you prefer. We like one-liners, too.
3. You must be 13 years old or older to be eligible.
4. Holiday World & Splashin' Safari employees (and their immediate family members) are not eligible. (Quit complaining! You earn plenty of free tickets during the season - let these other nice folks win some tickets once in a while.)
5. To enter, post your Dummy Dialogue as a comment here on this HoliBlog post. Don't worry if it doesn't show up right away, we moderate our comments. And we sometimes nap between 2 and 4am.
6. To be eligible, you must include your email address in the "email field." It won't show up publicly in your post, but it's how we'll notify you if you win.
7. Only one entry per blog "comment." If you're so incredibly witty that you have three entries, then you must post three separate comments. Don't get carried away, though; you're not that funny.
8. This contest runs through 12 noon CDT on Monday, April 2.
9. The judges' decision is final*.
* ... and we're no dummies!
24 March 2012 - 5:19pm
(This HoliBlog entry was originally posted on 11/3/06.)
Once in a while, we poke a little fun at some of the headlines that show up about us in the papers and online.
This particular one is remarkable for its incredible lack of creativity or even basic descriptiveness. It came in with a batch of newspaper clips that arrived in this week's mail. The article was the same in all the clips, an Associated Press report about our expansion plans for 2007.
To be fair, the headline writer does have space considerations. That's understandable. If the story is just one or two columns wide, the headline will be shorter than for a four- or five-column-wide article.
Here are some reasonable headlines from the stack:
"Holiday World announces new adventures for '07"
"Holiday World plans expansion"
"Holiday World plans to build giant water slide"
"Holiday World to add seven-story water slide"
and then there's...
"Bakuli will bowl you over at Holiday World in 2007!"
"Big slide coming"
"Seven-story slide slated for Holiday World in '07"
But what journalism professor wouldn't clutch his or her heart after reading this doozy: Park making adjustments
Why didn't we think of that? Quick! Someone call the Times! The Trib! The Star!
Just think of all the headlines that would jump off the page with that word in the mix!
"Tom and Katie take adjustment out in public"
"St. Louis Cards finish series with adjustment"
"Dow Jones adjusts"
"Adjustment in NBC Nightly News anchor chair"
Can you stand it? The possibilities are endless. No, I won't reveal which paper came up with that beaut. Wouldn't want to be responsible, after all, for the headline writer's ... er ... adjustment.
21 March 2012 - 4:31pm
Boy-oh-boy, this record weather is just incredible, isn't it? To think we were in the 80s on the last day of winter earlier this week simply boggles the mind.
The weather sure helps us in our getting-the-park-open activities, too.
Painters paint. Cleaners clean. And maintenance ... well, they maintain.
Nathan happened to catch this unusual activity the other day:
The Monsoon Lagoon bucket had some cosmetic work done on it over the winter, and it was time to hoist that smiling face back into place.
A face lift, as it were ...
Everyone within admiring distance took a moment to grin back.
Splashin' Safari opens for the season on May 11. We'll have that 1,000-gallon bucket full and ready for tipping all summer long!