This may sound a bit braggadocious, but this is just too delicious not to share: The producers of The Travel Channel's "Bert the Conqueror" told me last week that we were the "most asked for -- no, the most demanded park" for Bert to visit during his second season.
Okay, so let's start off by thanking everyone who asked for us (or demanded us) to be an episode this season. We really appreciate it!
Next, we'll answer the question you're most likely thinking: Who gets to be on the show with Bert? He's not going to ride alone, is he?
(Photo courtesy Travel Channel)
Indeed, we'll need "extras" to be part of the fun: Fun-loving, thrill-seeking, crazy, noisy families.
Does that sound like you?
If so, we'd like you to "audition." First, please watch our silly video with Dan and Mrs. Koch:
Next, please carefully read through these instructions:
- Deadline to audition is Wednesday, April 20, at 10 am CDT. You may audition to ride The Voyage (Friday, May 6) or Wildebeest (Saturday, May 7). If you wish to be considered for both days, please submit an audition video or email for each ride.
- Your family may audition by video or by email. (A "family" is whatever you want it to be -- we won't ask for birth certificates. There's not a maximum or minimum number of family members.)
- To audition by video, record a video that's less than a minute long on YouTube and email the link to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line of either "Bert - Voyage" or "Bert - Wildebeest." The video should include all the family members who would attend that day if your family is chosen. Be sure and tell us how many people are in the group you will bring if you are chosen.
- To audition by email, send us a photo and an essay no longer than 175 words to email@example.com with the subject line of either "Bert - Voyage" or "Bert - Wildebeest." The photo should include all the family members who would attend that day if your family is chosen. Be sure and tell us how many people are in the group you will bring if you are chosen.
- Before auditioning, please be sure that all family members are available on the day(s) of the Travel Channel shoot. Please note that all members of your family or group must be at least 48" tall (for Friday's shoot) or 42" tall (for Saturday's shoot) and all must be ready, willing and able to ride repeatedly.
- Although children are welcome (as long as they're tall enough and eager to ride), they must be accompanied by riding parents or adult guardians.
- I'm being Ms. Obvious here, but yes, if you are part of the Wildebeest shoot, you must ride in your swimsuit.
- Although we don't expect the shoots to take all day, we do need auditioning families to be available all day, in case we need you.
- And yes, all families who help us out during the shoot receive free tickets (one per family member) to return another day.
- Exactly what do we need from you? Enthusiastically tell us your story on video or in an email: Why should you be chosen to take part in a "Bert the Conqueror" shoot at Holiday World or Splashin' Safari? Be funny! Be clever!
- Just this once, employees of the park are welcome to enter. We know you have families, too!
- The producers are asking us to line up "newbies"; sorry, but if you've appeared in a previous episode (even in the background), please don't "audition."
- Good luck! Remember, the deadline is April 20 at 10 am CDT. We'll let the winners know just a few days after that.
And then everyone can tune in to watch Bert conquer Holiday World & Splashin' Safari in June!